Sunday, November 27, 2011

Red Fringe Monster




I have been working on this costume forever! I purchased it from a dancer on the other side of the country five years ago. I was so excited about having a monthly gig in a restaurant and the prospect of owning more than one costume. I was new to purchasing costumes online from other dancers and maybe didn't do quite enough research on my purchase before I hit the paypal button.
It is a vintage bra and belt set with a matching skirt and a set of arm bands. It is not a true Fringe Monster, but a monster of a project. The skirt was in great shape but was too short for me. I sold it to a friend. The bra and belt fit well but were in terrible shape! The smell was the first thing I noticed. It was a combination of cigarettes, perfume and body odor. The lining of the costume was filthy. I expected to have to change out the lining, but I didn't expect it to be so bad that I didn't want to touch it. There were also random rusty hooks sewn haphazardly onto the bra and belt with visible stitching showing through the sequins in multicolored threads. I know the previous owner wore and performed in this set, I can't imagine how she thought it was in good enough shape to be seen in public.
I put the costume in a box and hid it away, not knowing what to do about it. After a few years of pulling this costume out of it's box and trying to imagine what I could do to fix it I gathered up the courage to wash it.
Many belly dance costumes are very washable. I wasn't sure this one could handle it. It was older and not well cared for. I was afraid the threads would disintegrate. My only other option would be to keep it hidden away for eternity!
I removed and discarded the lining and secured the loose threads that were now exposed. I filled the bathtub with warm water and Woolite dropped the Red Monster in and hoped for the best. I let it soak for a while then I got out an old toothbrush and scrubbed the sequins. Who knew they were iridescent under that grime?
I am pleased with how much better it looks and smells. After it's bath and thorough drying it went back in it's box for a long time. Recently I lined the bra and belt. I finished sewing the fringe on the belt and now I have to sew the fringe back on the bra and put the straps back on. I have also purchased some silver model airplane paint to repaint the silver beads on the bra fringe. On a better trip to a secondhand shop I found a burgundy stretch velvet dress that will soon be a skirt and maybe some matching accessories.
After years of feeling hopeless and like I lost money on this costume, I feel like I will be able to wear it some day soon. I really have to finish it in a few days. I have ordered fabric for my next costume project! I can't wait to start!

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I had no idea you had a blog. I LOVE IT. Second, YAY for the red monster! I still hope to buy it from you one day. ;)

    ReplyDelete